Purpose of Report
To approve the Lincoln Town Investment Plan proposed for submission to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government by 29 October 2020.
That the Executive:
(1) Approves the Town Investment Plan, proposed for submission to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government by 29 October 2020.
(2) Approves works for Cornhill Square and Lincoln Central Market as the priority for the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government Accelerated Town Funding of £1 million.
(3) Approves the Council’s role as accountable body for the Town Deal Project Programme.
(4) Approves the Council’s role as Project Lead in delivery of the following Town Deal Projects:
- Lincoln Central Market;
- Tentercroft Street.
(5) Approves the Council’s role as Project Lead in delivery of the following Road to Zero Carbon Reduction Projects:
- SME Green Recovery Grant Scheme;
- Community Investment Bond Scheme;
- Construction Retrofit Project.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected
Other options considered, together with prioritisation criteria, risks and associated mitigations, were set out in the report.
Reason for Decision
Lincoln was one of 101 towns selected by the Government to work towards a Town Deal, with the potential to secure up to £25 million of funding to support proposals which would delivery long-term economic growth.
In response to selection in December 2019 and the Government’s published Town Deal prospectus, a multi-agency Town Deal Board was established to oversee the development of a Town Investment Plan in January 2020, a pre-requisite for securing Town Funds. Over the past nine months the Town Deal Board had considered the economic evidence alongside engagement and consultation with local stakeholders and communities in order to develop a long-term vision, strategy and five-year project intervention programme to support the growth and development of the city. This work, together with ongoing discussion with the Government’s Town Hun advisors, had been the basis for the Town Investment Plan as appended to the report and proposed for submission.
The following vision for the Lincoln Town Deal, aligned to the Town Fund Intervention Framework and developed from the analysis of evidence, had been supported by the Town Deal Board:
‘A world class heritage city, which has embraced the opportunities presented by the digital economy to drive investment, innovation and productivity, creating opportunities for all, attracting new talent and securing Lincoln’s future as a dynamic, sustainable and inclusive place.’
This vision was supported by the following priorities:
- skills to support inclusive growth;
- sustainable transport;
- urban regeneration to support arts, culture, heritage and enterprise infrastructure.
Further information was contained within the report in relation to each priority, together with specific projects allocated to each priority area.
The development of the Plan had also been considered in the context of Covid-19 recovery, carbon reduction and inclusive growth needs. It was structured in line with Government guidance and comprised two sections. Section 1 set out the context, strategy and process planning whereas Section 2 outlined the details of the project proposals.