Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Purpose of Report
To report the number of authorisations under Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA) 2000.
To consider the approval of the revised Policy.
That the updated Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 Policy be approved.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected
It was a requirement to review the policy and update it accordingly.
Reasons for the Decision
The Council had a RIPA Policy which covered implications for all staff who investigate suspected criminal offences and other breaches of regulations for which the Council was responsible. The Policy included the procedures for obtaining authorisations together these explain:
· the purpose of the Act in relation to the Council’s functions;
· the circumstances which it applies to;
· how to make sure that it was complied with;
· functions of the Central Register;
· process for authorisations;
· details for authorisations;
· and provides guidance of the use of Social Media in investigations as well as guidance on the use of Covert Human Intelligence Source (CHIS) and how to obtain a CHIS authorisation.
The report set out the amendments to the policy.
Report author: Becky Scott
Publication date: 24/06/2022
Date of decision: 20/06/2022
Decided at meeting: 20/06/2022 - Executive
Effective from: 02/07/2022